Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Redneck in Me

     Food. Literally. It's the fruit of life, at least mine anyways. My mother and I are food addicts. We are constantly searching for different recipes to try, and experimenting with different ingredients. Well, my dad is a hunter, and this year we put an elk in the freezer, so we have an over abundance of elk meet to use. My mom and I aren't too keen on elk meet, but we have been good about replacing beef with it, and we have found some delicious meals to use it in.
     The elk steak wouldn't be my first choice. The processor gave us, tenderloin, steaks, ground elk, and 3 different kinds of sausage: black pepper, country, and italian.  The sausage is the best out of all of it. Maybe I'm just a sausage kind of girl, but I always tend to pick the sausage 99% of the time, when given the choice.
     With our elk we substitute it into hamburger helper, put it into gravy for biscuits and gravy, make elk burgers ( or elk sliders), and the country sausage is perfect for breakfast sausage patties. At first, I was a little weary of the elk, thinking that it would be too gamey, or just not taste good, but over all I give it a two thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment